RAD-Comet10BASE-T1S Development Interface with 100BASE-T1, 10/100/1000BASE-T, and CAN FD
10BASE-T1S Development Interface with 100BASE-T1, 10/100/1000BASE-T, and CAN FD
The RAD-Comet is a versatile device for developing and testing 10BASE-T1S communication in automotive systems. It can be configured and used to simulate a node on a 10BASE-T1S network as well as capture and analyze 10BASE-T1S traffic simultaneously with other vehicle networks. All Ethernet and CAN traffic are timestamped precisely for logging or analysis in Vehicle Spy software.
When configured as a media converter, the RAD Comet can bridge between any of its 3 Ethernet physical layers. This is useful for connecting a PC to an Automotive Ethernet device for observing network activity in Wireshark or Vehicle Spy. It is also useful for integrating a 10BASE-T1S device or network into a 100BASE-T1 network.
Primary Use Cases
- Network Monitoring and Diagnostics
- Media Converter for 10BASE-T1S and 100BASE-T1
- Gateway applications between Ethernet and CAN FD
- ECU Simulation and Testing
- Time Synchronization
- gPTP Time Synchronization using 100BASE-T1 or100/1000BASE-T
- Intrepid Time Sync (ITS) with other Intrepid products
- Device power via USB 3 or 5.5-40V DC supply
- Ruggedized DC power interface suitable for vehicle integration
- Status LEDs
- Network status and activity
- T1 and T1S SQI indication
- T1S PLCA Status
- PC Connectivity
- Data connection via USB 3 or Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T)
- Compatibility with Vehicle Spy and Wireshark
- Open-Source Intrepid API for direct network access in Windows or Linux applications.
- 1x 10BASE-T1S
- 1x 100BASE-T1
- 1x 10/100/1000BASE-T
- 2x ISO CAN FD channels with selectable on-board termination
Operational Overview and Use Cases
The RAD-Comet can be used as a media converter between 10BASE-T1S and either of the other Ethernet physical layers available on the device.
10BASE-T1S ⇔ 10/100/1000BASE-T
10BASE-T1S ⇔ 100BASE-T1
It can also serve as a media converter for 100/1000BASE-T1
100/1000BASE-T ⇔ 100BASE-T1 Media Conversion
Elaborate gateways can be implemented between any of the networks available on the RAD-Comet.
Payloads can be extracted from frames arriving on one network, placed into a different PDU structure with a different header and sent to another network.
Examples of this utility include (but not limited to):
- Networking devices from different architectures for a proof-of-concept
- Networking devices during the transition from one vehicle architecture to the next
- Streaming select (or all) network traffic for logging and analysis
Frames can arrive on one Ethernet network and sent out to another network directly, or after changing anything in the header or payload.
This functionality can be used to realize many novel functions useful in vehicle testing.
- Changing frame destination
- MAC Spoofing
- Layer 3/4 Address Translation
- Payload scaling
- Payload manipulation (Boundary testing, fault injection, penetration testing, etc.)
Simulation and Scripting
Using Vehicle Spy you can define transmit messages on any network with custom data and send them manually or on a schedule of your choosing. You can also write intelligent scripts that implement arbitrary logic and compile them into embedded scripts which can run within the device itself. This functionality allows you to create specialized test scenarios, and to simulate ECUs and gateways.
PHY Register access
In any mode, each PHY can be accessed by the embedded processor over MDIO in order to read and write configuration registers.